Sunday, May 5, 2013

Learning to be loved? Who, me?

For my entire life, I have been an expert at loving people and not allowing people to love me back. I am passionate about doing everything I can to make everyone feel accepted and completely loved. I have never before, though, let anyone love me. Being an RA has changed my life. I was blessed with the opportunity to love on these beautiful women that I was "in charge" of, and they loved me back (which isn't anything new). What changed my life, though, was that they taught me to accept compliments (most of the time). They taught me to love myself, and they taught me that I can't get away with loving people and not wanting anything/or allowing anything in return. When they were vulnerable with me and told me the things they were going through, it taught me that I could do the same. They taught me to allow people to love me. I have never had a hard time saying goodbye to people, but this past week was tough. Not only did I cry when (or right after) I said goodbye, I cried in my room once the dorm was empty. I never cry. You lovelies changed my life. Thank you.
 



And my fellow RAs, you also taught me a lot about myself. You allowed me to be myelf--no matter how harsh that was at times. You allowed me to be blunt and to state my mind while calling me out at times. Thank you for everything. 

15 days until I leave for Kakamega, Kenya! I also got my placement a few days ago. I will be working with the Daisy Resource Centre for Handicapped Children. This centre supports children with handicaps resulting from birth defects, debilitating childhood diseases, accidents, and abuse. It seeks to provide for these children through: primary school, physical and occupational therapy, medical care, vocational training, and counseling. I am so very excited for everything this summer will entail. It may be difficult to leave after the summer because of my new ability to love and be loved, but it will teach me so very much that I will not trade it for the world. 




No comments:

Post a Comment